How To Stop Termites In San Diego From Reinfesting
October 15, 2022
When you think of San Diego, you think of sunny skies, sandy beaches, and beautiful blue water. You may not think about the pests that call our area home. One local pest that can be a significant problem for homeowners is the termite. These pests can quickly and quietly destroy your home, eat away at the wood from within, cost you money, and make your home potentially unsafe.
You know how bad it can be if you’ve dealt with termites. The last thing you want is to have another infestation. That is why pest control in San Diego is so important. Read on to learn how the trained professionals at Bite Away Termite And Pest Control Inc. can help eliminate termites around your home and ensure they don’t return.
Termite Identification Guide
Here in San Diego, we deal with a few species of termite. Here are the types of termites we see in San Diego and how you can identify them:
- Drywood termites: Don’t need soil contact and can infest dry wood. They are typically brown with a long, white oval-shaped feather-like tail.
- Dampwood termites: Are translucent yellow with a brown head and sharp, pronounced mouthparts. They are larger than other termite species.
- Subterranean termites: Are identifiable by the distinctive mud tubes built around your home's foundation. They are smaller than dampwood termites but have a similar color and build.
Whatever San Diego termites are infesting your home can cause massive damage. Contact us immediately to protect our home if you see any of these species.
Is This Termite Damage?
Termite damage can be challenging to spot because it usually occurs in areas of your home you don’t look at commonly, and it can be confused with other home issues like water damage.
There are some common signs of termite damage you may see around your home, such as drooping or discoloring drywall and uneven or bubbling paint. You may also notice wood that sounds hollow when tapped, squeaky floorboards, loose tiles and floorboards, and wood that appears rotten or crumbled.
Any of these can be signs of a termite infestation. If you see any signs, contact Bite Away Termite And Pest Control Inc. for immediate termite elimination treatments.
Tricks To Prevent Termites From Coming Back
If you have already dealt with a termite infestation in your San Diego home, you know how difficult and expensive the process can be. Once you have eliminated termites from your home, you must take steps to keep them from returning.
Here are a few ways to prevent termites around your home:
- Eliminate excessive moisture around your home by identifying and repairing leaking faucets, pipes, and HVAC units.
- Repair or replace rotten wood, shingles, soffits, loose mortar, or weather stripping.
- Keep an 18-inch gap between the exterior of your home and organic material like mulch, and store firewood at least 20 feet from your home.
- Ensure all gutters and downspouts are functioning correctly.
The best option for termite prevention around your home is to partner with a professional termite control company.
Professional Termite Control In San Diego
For termite control in San Diego, there is no substitute for professional help. At Bite Away Termite And Pest Control Inc., we are experts in protecting your home from termites. We can complete a termite inspection for your home and work quickly to treat any termites we find. We can also develop a termite prevention plan to keep your home protected permanently.