Answering San Diego's Most Commonly Asked Scorpion Questions
August 15, 2022
A type of arachnid, like spiders, scorpions are common in warm climates and often make their way into homes in search of a water source. Unfortunately, when they do, it is vital to get rid of them quickly as they can inflict painful and dangerous stings that cause thousands of deaths every year.
If scorpions are a problem, it is time to learn about the different types of scorpions and whether you are accidentally attracting them, discover six facts about scorpions you probably didn’t know, and find out how to eliminate them from your property effectively. Bite Away Termite And Pest Control Inc. provides pest control in San Diego you can rely on to get rid of these dangerous pests for good.
Types Of Scorpions
There are several types of scorpions in the California area, including the following:
- California Common Scorpion
- Striped-tailed Scorpion
- Bark Scorpion
- Arizona Hairy Scorpion
- California Swollen Stinger Scorpion
Of all these scorpions, the most common Southern California scorpions are the bark scorpion, the Arizona hairy scorpion, and the striped-tailed scorpion. The bark scorpion is the most dangerous. If you get stung by a scorpion, it is crucial that you get medical help right away.
Don't Accidentally Attract Scorpions
Scorpions can be easily attracted to your home, and understanding what they are looking for is crucial in keeping them away:
- Scorpions are attracted to sources of water as they need it to survive. Try to fix all leaks, avoid leaving standing water out, and turn off hoses when done with them.
- While scorpions can go for quite a while without food, they need it whenever possible. If other pests have invaded your house, it is important to get rid of them.
- Scorpions also look for shelter. If your home can provide them with a safe and cool place to hide, they will try to get in through cracks in walls, windows, and more. Consider sealing cracks, keeping windows and doors closed, and fitting them with fine-mesh screens if you need to keep them open.
If, despite your best efforts, scorpions are still making their way into your home, it might be time to schedule a professional inspection.
Six Facts About Scorpions You Probably Didn't Know
Scorpions are dangerous and unwanted pests, but they are also surprising creatures. Here are some interesting facts about scorpions you probably didn’t know:
- Scorpions are ancient creatures and were around over 400 million years ago.
- Scorpions are arachnids, just like spiders, so they have eight legs.
- Scorpions can glow in the dark, and a UV light will make them stand out with fluorescent blue-green color.
- When well taken care of and without the threat of predators, scorpions can live for 20 years.
- Scorpions are not only able to withstand extreme heat, but they can also survive being completely frozen.
- While scorpions need water to survive, they can go a long time without any food. Some can live an entire year on just one or two insects.
It can be challenging to get rid of scorpions as they are incredibly resilient. If scorpions have taken over your home, now is the time to consider total scorpion control in your San Diego home.
Total Scorpion Control For San Diego Residents
When routine precautions aren’t enough, experts can help. From tips to keep your yard and home inhospitable to scorpions to the best way to kill scorpions, pest control professionals can answer all your questions and help you get rid of scorpions for good. Trying to eliminate them on your own can be dangerous and might be ineffective. Still, our licensed technicians at Bite Away Termite And Pest Control Inc. have the expertise you need to end your infestation safely.
Scorpions are resilient pests that can survive in your home for a very long time without food as long as they find shelter and water. If scorpions have taken over your San Diego home, Bite Away Termite And Pest Control Inc. can help you get rid of them safely and for good.