San Diego Homeowners' Complete Guide To Total Ant Control
March 15, 2022
Ants are a problem that you’ll likely deal with if you're a homeowner at one point or another. Ants in San Diego are one of the most prevalent home-invading insects, and while the majority aren’t dangerous, the intrusive nature of ants makes them a challenge regardless. Ants can quickly spread and seem to take over your yard or home, so knowing how to keep them away through professional ant control services can save you a lot of stress. Find out more about our San Diego pest control options for dealing with ant infestations.
The Life Cycle Of Common Ants
Like many other insects, ants in San Diego have a life cycle that follows four stages: egg, larvae, pupae, and adulthood. This lifestyle process will complete in six to ten weeks.
- First, ants lay small eggs. Only the queens lay eggs, but contrary to popular belief, some ant species can have more than one queen. The Argentine ant, for example, is known for having large colonies that contain multiple queens.
- Second, the eggs turn into larvae. They need to consume a lot of food during this time, and they are only larvae for about one to two weeks.
- Third, ants enter a six to ten-week period known as the pupae stage. Some ant species are in cocoons during this time, while others are not.
- Fourth, adults will emerge from the pupae stage. Most of the ants are worker ants. These are infertile females in charge of foraging for food and tending to the larvae and pupae. The only males in the colony exist to fertilize the queen, and then they die.
The Problems An Ant Infestation Can Cause In A Home
All ant species can be problematic. Some colonies can contain hundreds of thousands of ants. Species like the Argentine ant can create many sub-colonies with different queens, while species like the carpenter ant create their nests directly into wooden structures.
Along with being common household-invading pests, all ants will invade the food items in and around your home. They are generally voracious eaters, feeding on everything from pet food to meat items to sweets.
Along with these concerns, some species, such as the pharaoh ant, can cause health issues since they are known to spread disease.
Five Environmentally-Friendly Ant Prevention Tips
If ants haven't invaded you in your San Diego home, it’s an excellent time to implement some preventive ant control measures. The team at Bite Away Termite and Pest Control suggests these five environmentally friendly ways to make your property less appealing to ants:
- Remove yard debris like mulch, deadwood, leaf piles, and grass clippings.
- Store pet food inside in sealed containers.
- Always wipe up food and drink spills. And, in general, keep kitchens clean.
- Seal up entry points into your house by patching holes in the walls and foundation and fixing broken screens.
- Reduce humidity issues by removing standing water from the yard and fixing leaky plumbing around your home.
However, if you’re already dealing with ants, you might be wondering how to get rid of ants from your home safely and effectively. That’s where San Diego ant control services come in!
The Most Effective Ant Control For San Diego Homes
While some people try to implement ant control independently, these methods don’t work well. Baits and traps will only eliminate some ants, but they likely won’t eradicate the entire colony. Instead, get safe and effective home pest control from our Bite Away Termite and Pest Control professionals. We can eliminate ants and also prevent further problems. Give us a call to get started!